Monday 3 September 2007

Bird By Snow - Sky



Bird By Snow were a band that often played gigs in people's houses or on the beach when I lived in Santa Cruz, and it's good to see that they've grown to the point where they release their first CD in Europe this week, entitled Sky and released on Swedish label Kning Disk. They share the same underground Californian psychedelic folk sound as bands like Whysp and Little Wings (and more famously Vetiver and Devandra Banhart), a kind of tousled organic intimacy that forms a dusty niche away from the sheen of modern life. You can definitely hear the influence of Phil Elverum's Microphones/Mt. Eerie, the latter of whom Bird By Snow has supported in the past. This track has a fantastic slowly loping groove to it, overlayed with wheezing accordian and shamanic repeated vocals.

Bird By Snow - The Sound And The River Within The Sound

Takes me right back to magical SC, where I often used to share my walk to lectures with a family of deer, and bought incredible paintings by homeless hippies on walks back from the beach. Despite relocating to the Bay Area and travelling all over the world, Bird By Snow seems to have retained some of that Santa Cruz acid-hippie ethos:

"Open eyes wide, and take in “Sky,” bird by snow’s outrageously lush follow-up LP. Cloudy or clear, day or night, let us be absorbed in the one-always-giving moment, and know the sky not as vacuous hole, but as container (whole)."

You can buy Sky from the label website or from Bird By Snow's website, including the original LP version in mouth-watering gold sleeve with transparent blue vinyl and luxury booklet:

What a beauty. There's also a free live album from a gig on an island in the Baltic Sea you can download.

3 comments:

Gregory said...

I'm a fan of the BBS stuff I have heard before. It doesn't come up against the Phil Elv(e)rum output though.

Ben said...

I like the more soulful direction of this album, but I agree, Phil Elverum is the dad. "The Glow Pt. 2" is one of the all-time unique albums, no doubt I'll post about it at some point...

Gregory said...

excellent, I'd like to read other people's thoughts on it.

I sometimes get bogged down listening to the songs, sometimes to the production, but when I just free up and listen to it all - then I'm happy.

I would also add Mount Eerie and It Was Hot So We Stayed In The Water.

Fan of Thanksgiving/Adrian Orange? The new AO album coming soon is brilliant, lo-fi singer-songerwriting backed by a full band, brass section and dubby inflections. Well ace.