Wednesday 3 October 2007

I want to dance like this.

I've been a bit of a grandad recently in terms of pop music - poking around on blogs means that you know the new Sunset Rubdown inside out but you have no idea what's at number one. So this video of Chris Brown and Rihanna at the VMA's is totally stale and happened weeks ago, an eternity in blog years, but fuck it, I'm posting it anyway because it rocks my world and I've only just seen it.

Rihanna looks incredible, sings a bit out of tune, but it's "Umbrella" so it's still great. This video is really all about Chris Brown's dancing, particularly to "Wall To Wall". Those of you who know me will know my dancing is a poor drunken acme of this boy-genius. The robo-Chaplin stuff at the beginning is pretty awesome (though clearly David Elsewhere-inspired); his Michael Jackson impersonations at the end are foolishly ambitious but he just about pulls it off.

But it's the sequence from 1:10 to 2:50 (and 1:30 to 1:50 in particular) that has me itching in frustrated dance dreams, hampered by my indie-boy frame and white, white skin. I could watch this slicker-than-slick choreography all day and not get tired of my vicarious thrills. Chris Brown is the whole package. Check:



The song itself is very good too, and strangely became a total flop in America, a disappointment considering last summer's successes with "Run It" et al. Still, if you can move like that, you can die happy.

No comments: